Library book: Incidents Around the House Josh Malerman
Publisher: Del Rey
Published: 6/25/2024
Pages: 373
Genre: Horror
Review: Library book
To eight-year-old Bela, her family is her world. There’s Mommy, Daddo, and Grandma Ruth. But there is also Other Mommy, a malevolent entity who asks her every day: “Can I go inside your heart?”
When horrifying incidents around the house signal that Other Mommy is growing tired of asking Bela the question over and over, Bela understands that unless she says yes, her family will soon pay.
Other Mommy is getting restless, stronger, bolder. Only the bonds of family can keep Bela safe, but other incidents show cracks in her parents’ marriage. The safety Bela relies on is about to unravel.
But Other Mommy needs an answer.
Incidents Around the House is a chilling, wholly unique tale of true horror about a family as haunted as their home.
When horrifying incidents around the house signal that Other Mommy is growing tired of asking Bela the question over and over, Bela understands that unless she says yes, her family will soon pay.
Other Mommy is getting restless, stronger, bolder. Only the bonds of family can keep Bela safe, but other incidents show cracks in her parents’ marriage. The safety Bela relies on is about to unravel.
But Other Mommy needs an answer.
Incidents Around the House is a chilling, wholly unique tale of true horror about a family as haunted as their home.
In one of my book groups someone had mentioned this book and it sounded like something I would read. Though as our story kept unfolding I just found the book to be blah. The little girl who is our main character was one that I just didn't like the way she was so to speak. I realized she was a little girl, but I couldn't get over her choppy sentences. I assume that is how a child speaks, who may be scared? I am not sure. For me, there was nothing really scary just a malevolent spirit that lives in the house that is bothering Bella, who eventually bothers other characters in the book. It soon becomes a race with Bella and her family to stop this "other mommy" from trying to get into Bella's heart. Another thing that truly bothered me was the fact she called her father Daddo. It just doesn't sound right lol.
I will say I felt bad for Bella as her parents really didn't pay too much attention to her. Now her daddy tried to be close to her, but you can tell that they were more caught up with their issues than really what was going on with Bella until towards the end. Overall not scary at all creepy sure, but not anywhere near let me keep the lights on sorta book.





Comments
Post a Comment