Library book: The Meth Lunches by Kim Foster



Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Published: 10/10/2023
Pages: 313
Genre: nonfiction
Review: library book


 Food is a conduit for connection; we envision smiling families gathered around a table—eating, happy, content. But what happens when poverty, mental illness, homelessness, and addiction claim a seat at that table? In The Meth Lunches, Kim Foster peers behind the polished visions of perfectly curated dinners and charming families to reveal the complex reality when poverty and food intersect. Whether it’s heirloom vegetables or a block of neon-yellow government cheese, food is both a basic necessity and a nuanced litmus what and how we eat reflects our communities, our cultures, and our place in the world. The Meth Lunches gives a glimpse into the lives of people living in Foster’s Las Vegas community—the grocery store cashier who feels safer surrounded by food after surviving a childhood of hunger; the inmate baking a birthday cake with coffee creamer and Sprite; the unhoused woman growing scallions in the slice of sunlight on her passenger seat. This is what food looks like in the lives of real people. The Meth Lunches reveals stories of dysfunction intertwined with hope, of the insurmountable obstacles and fierce determination all playing out on the plates of ordinary Americans. It’s a bold invitation to pull up a chair and reconsider our responsibilities to the most vulnerable among us. Welcome to the table.
Why did I get this book? I have no true reason besides the title, which is what called out to me. I was intrigued by what the book was about. As much as I loved the author's take on how food can bring people together and close a gap, among other things, I felt we did focus a lot on the different foods she cooked. 
I was pulled in when our first part said how a man was passed out in her yard from meth. More along the way of Michael is dead in our yard is what her children say, as a parent, that bothered me. As the story unfolded, I understood who the person was in the story and the part he played, though I just couldn't get behind having him around the presence of children while being high. 
I felt Foster was trying to inform us about how food is the key to everything in life, how to think about others, and how to help those who need it. I can't imagine the hardships that everyone whom Foster met went through; it is something that I am very glad I have not had to go through in my own life. 
I understand addiction as my sister is/was not sure anymore an addict, and she has a mental disability; I think bipolar, but then it may be a personality disorder. I don't know, I don't care. I feel that when there is a chance for you to get better, you need to do it, especially when children are involved. I know I will get a lot of hate on this review, but I am cool with it. I just disagree with how we should be willing to help everyone get through things when there are people who need help daily and are not addicted to anything. Yet, we seem to focus more on people with a mental disability and addiction. 
With that being said, I felt bad for some of these people, especially those who lived in "Roachland," and the owners did nothing to help their tenants. It made me sick to know that people are out there working and trying to get out of a hole, and the place where they rest their heads at night is not safe or healthy for them. I want to know how to get these people the help they need and have their voices heard. 
I find her to be very brave to open up a food pantry in her neighborhood and be willing to feed whoever stops by. I wish I had that much money to feed those who need it. 
Am I glad I read this book? I am because I felt it opened my eyes to some things happening within our country. We don't know everyone's life story, and what they are going through daily makes you think a bit. My stance still stays the same with the addiction part of things.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016