Paperback: The Paris Library by Janet Charles
Paris, 1939: Young and ambitious Odile Souchet has it all: her handsome police officer beau and a dream job at the American Library in Paris. When the Nazis march into Paris, Odile stands to lose everything she holds dear, including her beloved library. Together with her fellow librarians, Odile joins the Resistance with the best weapons she has: books. But when the war finally ends, instead of freedom, Odile tastes the bitter sting of unspeakable betrayal.
Montana, 1983: Lily is a lonely teenager looking for adventure in small-town Montana. Her interest is piqued by her solitary, elderly neighbor. As Lily uncovers more about her neighbor’s mysterious past, she finds that they share a love of language, the same longings, and the same intense jealousy, never suspecting that a dark secret from the past connects them.
A powerful novel that explores the consequences of our choices and the relationships that make us who we are—family, friends, and favorite authors—The Paris Library shows that extraordinary heroism can sometimes be found in the quietest of places.
I was not looking for another book, but I happened to pass this book on the new shelf spot in my public library and knew I had to give it a try. I am not a big fan of historical fiction, but I have slowly started to get more into this genre thanks to two teacher friends.
Our story is told between two different people at different time periods. However, it all comes together very nicely, and you learn to understand why one does what one does in life fully. Especially when it comes to war and the hardships it gives you and others. Our main character is Odile; she gets her dream job of working in the library that will serve all, and yet it can come crashing down at any moment because of World War 2 and Germany invading Paris. It is horrible, and every day, she and her fellow friends and family have to live in fear. We see just what Odile goes through, how she feels, and what she does to make her run to America. You can tell Odile is eaten up with guilt on that part.
Our next character Lily a young teenage girl, is curious about her neighbor, who happens to be Odile, and slowly but surely, they kick off a friendship. Odile takes Lily under her wing, helps her learn french, and tells her past stories. Not all of them mind you but enough that makes Lily respect and admire her. As our story unfolds between the War and what is going in Lily's life, we see that everyone has secrets they want to hold dear and not let out. Yet, sometimes letting those secrets out that have been inside us for years is a breath of fresh air. I learned many new things I did not know about before dealing with history and researching things independently. Lily and Odile are perfect for each other because they are both courageous and full of life.
The only reason I gave this book a four and not a five-star rating is because, at times, I just felt it dragging on. It was one of those books that I was not sitting down and devouring. Instead, I was putting it down and doing other things.
Janet Skeslien Charles divides her time between Paris and Montana. She enjoys reading, traveling, and spending time with family.
The backdrop of her debut novel MOONLIGHT IN ODESSA is the booming business of email-order brides, an industry where love and marriage meet sex and commerce.
Her second novel THE PARIS LIBRARY is based on the true story of the courageous librarians at the American Library in Paris during World War II. Janet learned about the story when she worked at the Library.





Comments
Post a Comment