NetGalley Read: I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

27212488Title: I Let You Go
Author: Clare Mackintosh
Published: May 3, 2016
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Pages: 384
Genre: Mystery, murder
Review: Ebook provided by NetGalley and publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 




On a rainy afternoon, a mother's life is shattered as her son slips from her grip and runs into the street . . .
I Let You Go follows Jenna Gray as she moves to a ramshackle cottage on the remote Welsh coast, trying to escape the memory of the car accident that plays again and again in her mind and desperate to heal from the loss of her child and the rest of her painful past.

At the same time, the novel tracks the pair of Bristol police investigators trying to get to the bottom of this hit-and-run. As they chase down one hopeless lead after another, they find themselves as drawn to each other as they are to the frustrating, twist-filled case before them. Elizabeth Haynes, author of Into the Darkest Corner, says, “I read I Let You Go in two sittings; it made me cry (at least twice), made me gasp out loud (once), and above all made me wish I'd written it . . . a stellar achievement.”
*Peter James, author of Want You Dead


I received this book to give an honest review.

What did I just read and I mean in that in a good way. So I started this book yesterday afternoon, and picked it back up in the middle of the night and finished it this morning. It really had my attention from the get go. So Jenna or as her real name is Jennifer runs away after being involved in an accident that killed a little boy. She lives with the guilt every day along with another secret that hurts her.
She is trying to move on with life though it is very hard to do. We also get an inside on the DI's solving the case and how they don't give up even though the case becomes cold. It just goes to show that hard work and persistence eventually will give you answers. Not only do we read about what is going on with Jenna and her new life but we also get to see what is going on with DI Ray and in his personal life. At times we do switch between different p.o.v.'s. 
The author did a great job with the characters and I felt she captured them in a great way, she had their personalty on point to the way they lived their life. Jenna has the guilt of the accident among other things and we see how she closes herself off. With DI Ray we see how he works more rather than be at home with his family and we see how that is taking a toll on his marriage and work. 
The twist that is within the story is like a big WOW moment didn't see it coming and even though the pieces starting falling in place I still didn't connect and I loved that. The way it ended to me was perfect it seems a bit mysterious still. 
If you want a good thriller that will leave you going what did I read? How did that come about I highly recommend you pick this book up. 
Now the only issue I had with the book but I won't mark a rating down is I wanted to know what happened to DI Ray's son fully. We see what he is dealing with but I didn't feel it to be resolved or why his son was acting the way he was. Something minor but it stuck with me. 





Clare Mackintosh
Clare Mackintosh is an author, feature writer and columnist. She has written for The Guardian, Sainsbury's Magazine, The Green Parent, and many other national publications, and is a columnist for Cotswold Life and Writing Magazine.
Clare spent twelve years in the police force, working on CID, in custody and as a public order commander, and has drawn on her experiences for her début psychological thriller I Let You Go. She is currently writing her second novel, out next year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016