ARC Review: A Painful Truth (An Affair With Murder #2) by Brian Spangler

29236671Title: A Painful Truth (An Affair With Murder #2)
Author: Brian Spangler
Date to be published: March 29, 2016
Publisher: Kindle Press
Pages:410
Genre: Murder, Mystery
Review: ebook provided by author

Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 


A Painful Truth -- A New Crime Thriller
Book 2 of the series: An Affair With Murder
Murder.
I'm obsessed.

But I'm not dangerous, not like other murderers. You see, I only kill those who won't be missed--I know it's an odd sense of justice, but it works for me. I'm a mother, a homemaker, and a serial killer, just not necessarily in that order. No lies, it's tough juggling my serial killer ways and my homelife. But life is good. Scratch that. Life is great. I'm living the best of both worlds.

When I'm not looking after my family, I'm lurking, watching and researching deep web links that turn me on to new cases and help me choose my next target. But I was playing in a dangerous world. And I chose not to see the dangers waiting for me. Yet I wasn't alone and should have been more careful. Someone was watching me.

In book two of the technothriller series, An Affair with Murder, Amy and her partner are successful killers for hire, passionately righting the wrongs of the past through vigilante justice. The Darknet is where Amy finds her targets, where she hunts to feed her serial killer desires, but it's not long before the hunter becomes the hunted and Amy must kill to stay alive in this thrilling sequel to book one, Killing Katie.


I received this book to give an honest review.
I really loved book one Killing Katie so I was really happy when the author came out with a book two.
We see that Nerd and Amy have been a bit busy since the last story they are doing jobs off the Darknet which will bring in their income just not right away. They have set up a "legit" business. Though it doesn't help that Nerd has become very nervous with the jobs they are starting to take on. Especially one job that will either get Amy caught or will have her blackmailed. 
While Amy is doing jobs and trying to keep her marriage going she learns that her past will be coming to haunt her very soon. Her husband should be doing desk work but instead has taken on a very cold case one that haunts Amy all the time. When he sees one item that is related to the cold case this is when everything starts slowing going down. 
I loved the mystery surrounding it all, to even wondering if murdering is genetic that is something I thought about when reading this book. I feel the characters are well written and the pace of the story is steady. Now I have to say it was nice to see Amy get a bit jealous in this story, when it came to her husband and the new chick in his office. 
I do recommend you read book one as to not only get a feel for who Amy is but to understand what has all happened to lead up to book two. 
The only issue I had with this book is there is a scene that Amy says "we will have to kill him" (don't quote me word for word), but then we turn the page and there is a new chapter. All of a sudden she is going to kill the dude. How did they meet up? Did he pick her up in his car? Or did they meet somewhere? It all comes together in the end but those few pages had me scratching my head a bit. 



Brian Spangler


I'm a resident of Virginia, living with my wife and children, along with three cats (sometimes more), a mouse, parrot, lizard and the funniest chinchilla on the east coast.
Although I live in Virginia, my heart is still in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where I grew up. And I hope that one day, I'll be able to call Philadelphia home again.
Growing up, I liked to read short stories, but struggled with the words. You see, I had a secret: a sad little secret. Ashamed and embarrassed, I was the little kid in the back row of the schoolroom, quietly moving my lips along with the class while everyone read aloud. I couldn't read. I couldn't write. I hoped nobody would notice, but they did. They always did.
By the time I'd reached the fourth grade, my secret wasn't a secret anymore. The teachers knew something was wrong. Dyslexia. Maybe that is why I liked science fiction so much? All those crazy looking glyphs on the screen, glowing, flashing.
The fix? Back to the third grade for me, and then special classes three days a week. It worked. Once I started reading, I never stopped. Stephen King, Piers Anthony, Dean Koontz, and even the Judy Blume books my sisters discarded.
I'm still one of the slowest readers I know, but school was never a problem again. I finally graduated the third grade, and then kept on going until I finished my Masters.

These days, I work as an engineer and spend my nights writing, editing and thinking up the next great story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016