Review: Awake by Natasha Preston

25981557
Title: Awake
Author: Natasha Preston
Published: Aug. 4, 2015
Publisher: SourceFire Books
Pages: 336
Genre: Teens/YA/Mystery Thriller
Review: Ebook provided by NetGalley and publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk, Barnes and Noble















Of course, the dress was white. This is what I'm supposed to die in, I thought. Not many people knew what their last outfit would be.
I pulled it over my head. It fit me perfectly. It had long, loose fitting sleeves, a modest neckline, and waves of material on the skirt. I hated it.
There were no shoes, and I was afraid I'd have to run through the forest barefoot but there weren't a lot of options. Besides, I'd run barefoot over a bed of nails to get away.
"Scarlett, are you ready?" he called.
I looked in the mirror and took a deep breath. Time to fight for my life.
Scarlett Garner doesn't remember anything before the age of four-until a car accident changes everything. She starts to remember pieces of a past that frighten her. A past her parents hid from her...and a secret that could get her killed.


I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review. 

The synopsis really called out to me on this one. I was very interested in reading about a cult and seeing how Scarlett would be able to handle it all.
I liked the premises of how Scarlett didn't remember anything before she was four but we learn why. 
When a new kid named Noah comes into the school he not only befriends Scarlett but they both end up falling in love with each other. Noah has secrete intentions that we learn later on what they are but will it be too late for Scarlett to find them out?
We learn more about the cult later on in the book on what they believe and why Scarlett is in the middle of it all. 
I gave this book a three rating as sometimes it just seemed to be too out there.
You have Scarlett and her best friend Imogen but they don't really seem like best friends. When they first meet Noah he takes more interest in Scarlett than Imogen and she becomes jealous? It was kind of one of those things like um really? 
I found it weird that she opened up to Noah so quickly about the accident and not remembering anything. I figured that maybe Noah and Scarlett would have taken it slow even though Noah was on a time limit. It just seemed so rushed. Heck Scarlett didn't even truly question Noah when he kept bringing up her memory and why couldn't she remember. I think if the guy I am liking kept asking me I would start getting suspicious. 
I also found it weird that her parents were not more suspicious of Noah or people in general as they have moved so much because of the cult. 
Though overall it was a good book though I wish there was more to cult and that some of the scenes could have been believable I will check out more from this author to see what other works she has in play. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016