Review: Breaking Free by S.M. Koz

22041877
Kelsie Sullivan’s life has changed forever. The once outgoing cheerleader has a secret to hide. The car accident that killed her best friend Jenna? She caused it.

With an absent father and unforgiving stepmother, Kelsie has nowhere to turn. She manages her guilt and grief with razor blades. The fleeting release she experiences becomes an obsession and soon she's unable to hide it any longer. Once her cutting is revealed, Kelsie’s parents enroll her in a Wilderness Therapy program designed to rehabilitate troubled teens, but North Carolina is a world away from California.

Kelsie fights against everything the program has to offer until she befriends JC, a boy with a tortured past of his own. He’s also the only one who is able to ease her pain. The two grow close, but quickly discover that nature—both human and otherwise—can easily rip them apart.
Disclaimer: This book contains adult language, sexual themes, and explicit self-harm behavior. Parental discretion is recommended for those under 15 years of age.


I received this book via Tomoson and the author to give an honest review.
I have never heard of this author before so when I saw the cover and title I figured I should read the blurb to see if it would be something I would enjoy. 
Let me say it was I found myself staying up late last night trying to finish it and I was glad I did.
This is sad story but ends up with a happy ending. The plot flowed nicely the book never was slow to where you kept wondering what is going to happen? Is this ever going to end? 
Kelsie is a troubled teen and after the accident of her best friend she ends up cutting herself. This leads to her having to be in program called Wilderness Therapy. It is to help troubled teens through their problems. Now while she is there of course she has to kind of be rebel because what kind of book would it be if she just went along with the program right. 
Kelsie is upset that she has be a part of this and finds it stupid but she ends up getting close to one guy who Kelsie nick named JC and he has his own problems. 
But they both seem to help each other find themselves and get through their trouble and that is what I enjoyed reading.
Now with JC's past, it comes back to haunt him. And we get to see the downward spiral that hits Kelsie. Will she scummb to the darkness? This is a story about fighting your demons, overcoming guilt, and see the light when there is nothing but darkness surrounding you.
This story goes between the past and the present, and it is done in a manner where you know which is which. So there is no getting confused. And I enjoyed this. We get to read what happened in the Therapy camp and how Kelsie is dealing with life now.

There is so much more I want to add but I don't want to give anything away. I can honestly say that I didn't fully see the ending coming out the way I did. I expected it to be dark and it wasn't.







S.M. Koz
SM Koz was born in Michigan, but moved to North Carolina for college and never left.
She enjoys traveling, camping, hiking, photography, reading, spending time with foster kids who call her house home, and learning new things. When she’s not creating online training for pharmaceutical companies (her day job) or writing, Koz can be found at the local community college taking courses on various topics ranging from digital art to HTML to desktop publishing. Next in line are auto mechanics and cake decorating.
Being trained as a veterinarian, it’s not surprising that Koz and her husband were recently told they have a mini-zoo with their two dogs, fish, cockatiels, and foster cats. In the past, they have also had parakeets and a snake. Other than the fish, all the animals were acquired through rescue organizations, something Koz wholeheartedly supports.
Breaking Free is Koz’s third original novel and fifth overall, but the only one she feels compelled to publish at this time. Her hope is that individuals who struggle with cutting may be inspired by Kelsie’s story and find the strength they need to begin the healing process.








I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White