Review: The Truth About Alice by Jennifer Mathieu

16068341
Everyone has a lot to say about Alice Franklin, and it’s stopped mattering whether it’s true. The rumors started at a party when Alice supposedly had sex with two guys in one night. When school starts everyone almost forgets about Alice until one of those guys, super-popular Brandon, dies in a car wreck that was allegedly all Alice’s fault. Now the only friend she has is a boy who may be the only other person who knows the truth, but is too afraid to admit it. Told from the perspectives of popular girl Elaine, football star Josh, former outcast Kelsie, and shy genius Kurt, we see how everyone has a motive to bring – and keep – Alice down.
http://us.macmillan.com/thetruthabout...






I received this book from Netgalley to give an honest review.
With all the bullying going on this is a perfect book that hits it all on the head. You know that there is always that girl in your school that becomes an outcast for her behavior. Not only that, she starts to get ignored and called names. If you don't have that happening in your school than you have probably seen it on TV as a movie or show. This doesn't get violent as far as the bullying goes now a days, but the words and the lies are just as bad. This story is told in different P.O.V.'s which is really good because you don't just get one side of the story. I can relate to everyone knowing what is going on in a small town like this one because I live in one. You can't keep secrets.

So you are pretty much getting told all about Alice, who she is and what not. Alice goes from popular to nothing within a small matter of time. Rumors start with her sleeping with two guys on the same night, but no one asks Alice if it is true. Everyone automatically believes the big football star.

It broke my heart that Alice's best friend Kelsie turned her back on her, but at the end it was good. Why you may ask? Well because who needs a friend that is willing to drop you instead of sticking by you?
Secrets come to life later on in the book that can either help, hurt or both.

The ending was different, I did enjoy it though I wasn't thinking it would end that way.

Now I am hoping that the author fixes some things that I found within the book that bothered me. There was a bunch of repeating that I found unnecessary. Maybe the author meant for the repeating but I think it could do without.

Overall a book that I would recommend to others to read even if it is to give it a try. The author draws you in from the first page and keeps you drawn into the story.



Jennifer MathieuI'm an English teacher, writer, wife, and mom who writes books for and about young adults. My debut novel, THE TRUTH ABOUT ALICE, will be out in the spring of 2014.

My favorite things include chocolate, pepperoni pizza, and this super hilarious 1980s sitcom about four retired women called The Golden Girls. I can basically quote every episode.
I live with my husband, son, one rescue dog, one fat cat, and another cat that is even fatter than the fat cat.
When it comes to what I read, I love realistic young adult fiction (duh), creative nonfiction, super scandalous tell-all memoirs and unauthorized biographies, and basically anything that hooks me on the first page.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016