The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap By: Paulette Mahurin

The Persecution of Mildred Dunlap

Synopsis: 


The year 1895 was filled with memorable historical events: the Dreyfus Affair divided France; Booker T. Washington gave his Atlanta address; Richard Olney, United States Secretary of State, expanded the effects of the Monroe Doctrine in settling a boundary dispute between the United Kingdom and Venezuela; and Oscar Wilde was tried and convicted for gross indecency under Britain’s recently passed law that made sex between males a criminal offense. When news of Wilde’s conviction went out over telegraphs worldwide, it threw a small Nevada town into chaos. This is the story of what happened when the lives of its citizens were impacted by the news of Oscar Wilde’s imprisonment. It is a chronicle of hatred and prejudice with all its unintended and devastating consequences, and how love and friendship bring strength and healing.




My Review:



I received this book from the author to give an honest review.


This book kept me from the beginning. It did not seem like a historical book to me. Paulette really has talent writing a book because I was drawn not only to the characters but to the plot as well.


I found myself wanting to smack a few characters around a bit just because they would make me so upset. With the way the small town had gossipers I could relate since I live in a small town and sure enough you have certain people who are nosy and love to talk about others. 


I felt even though the book was set in 1895, you could relate to the book as of today. With the hiding of a certain sexuality, to the gossipers to losing someone. I think this is a book that should be read by everyone and in it you learn that you should not go by what you hear and form judgement or opinions based on others. You should form you own judgement's and opinion's based on what you think.


The book had a great ending and again I would recommend this book to all to read.


My rating: 5 books


Comments

  1. Thank you for this heartfelt great review. I am now a happy follower of you Book, Reviews, Wine, and Cheese.

    And, I just read your beautiful write up about your family. Congratulations with the baby girl on her way.

    Wishing you, your family, this blog, much success.
    Paulette Mahurin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016