Edelweiss: The Other Ones by Jamise Fournier



Publisher: Inhabit Media
Published: 5/9/2023
Pages: 50
Genre: Horror
Review: edelweiss


In “The Net,” a girl and her mother arrive at their secluded cabin on a frozen lake to find their fishing net has been attacked, a massive hole ripped through the middle. After the net has been mended and the night’s catch eaten, the daughter sits awake playing with a bit of leftover netting string. When she was a girl, her grandmother taught her to make string figures—just as her mother had taught her—a game played by Inuit for generations, but a game not to be taken lightly . . . as the daughter plays late into the night, and the mother sleeps, other monstrous forces are soon awakened from beneath the frozen lake.
In “Before Dawn” a young boy runs out onto the tundra to play with his new friend by his side, venturing far beyond his mother’s rule that he not stray past the inuksuk on the horizon. The boy’s friend beckons him farther and farther, and the farther they get from home, the more the friend seems to change . . . until he is no longer human at all. Horrified, the boy listens to the creature’s return home before dawn, or be lost forever to the other side . . .
Complemented by haunting illustrations from Toma Feizo Gas, The Other Ones is a fresh take on modern horror by an exciting new Inuit voice.




“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”
It was not my favorite read, I am not sure what I was expecting, but this did not deliver for me. I did not know that this was a novella or that it had two short stories. I love lore and mythology-type stories, but I feel they need to be delivered in a way that will make you want more, and I just feel this was maybe too short? Or just didn't pack enough wow factor for me. The cover looks amazing, and I would pick this book up just by the cover; my students, on the other hand, would think this is boring. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Austim Awarness Month! Devon's story told by his mother Sara B. Please read below is a giveaway!!!