ARC Review: Broken Minds by Nicki Rae

25802672Title: Broken Minds
Author: Nicki Rae
Published: Oct. 10, 2016
Publisher: Self
Pages: 182
Genre: Dark, YA, Adult
Review: ebook provided by author
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 


For the last twelve years I’ve lived in fear. Fear of touch, fear of love, fear of the dark without the moon. But the letter I just received could put an end to it all—but not before pushing me to the edge one more time.

Twelve years ago my life was stolen from me. My heart led me to a place I never should’ve been because my mind didn’t know any better. Before that day, I was carefree and happy. I was excited about the future—a future that was blossoming with each passing day. A future with Trevor—my best friend and my new love. But what stood before us would break anyone, and what I didn’t know was that it had already broken him.

We would be held captive for ninety days. We weren’t allowed to think on our own, breathe on our own, or speak on our own. Our minds and bodies were pushed to the edge and eventually broke. By the end of our ninety days, we were both lost inside ourselves, but bound to one another. Even though Trevor smiled every day, his will was broken, his soul was sucked dry, and his mind was cracking with each passing day. But on this fateful day, I finally understood why his smile was sad because mine was also.

My name’s Keda Spencer and this is my story of survival, and the road that led to it.


**Warning: This novel may cause triggers and is meant for readers 18 years of age and older.**


I received an ARC to give an honest review.

Wow this was a very powerful story that goes between Keda and Trevor and what they went through captured and how they are dealing with life now. This story broke my heart because these two kids had things done to them that should have never happened but overtime we see how both attempt to cope. Keda deals with so much that she can't have a normal relationship and her heart will always belong to Trevor. We don't see how Trevor is until towards the end of the story and let me tell you my heart stopped for Keda and I said oh no. The ending is a surprise one that I won't say anything about. This is a must read for older folks. It is dark, but we know with dark comes light. 
The time frame was good and I didn't feel lost as we go from past to what led Keda being captured, to what is going on now within her life to the days leading up to the execution. It all flowed really well. 
I really like Keda as a character because she really seemed to want to get over what happened to her but we see it was a struggle. It was good seeing a character not always be so tough when thrown into a horrible situation.
There was one part within the story that I really liked. " A park without children is a sad place of misplaced slides and lonely swings. When you walk up to an empty park, every swing, every set of monkey bars are staring at you, begging you to pick them and then grow sour as you walk to the swings. I'd guess the swings are the divas of the playground. No matter a person's age, they will always swing."
I really enjoyed this author's writing story and how she can make me as a reader fall into her story and not put it down. I plan on keeping my eye on her. 



Nicki  Rae


Nicki is the author of Lather and The Perfection Series: Damaged and Resisting Perfection. She is a born Buckeye turned Hoosier who loves to spend time with her family. Along with being an avid reader, she also loves animals and the Indianapolis Colts!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White