NetGalley Review: My Best Friend's Exorcism: A Novel by Grady Hendrix

29106178Title: My Best Friend's Exorcism
Author: Grady Hendrix
Published: May 17, 2016
Publisher: Quirk Books
Pages: 336
Genre: Horror, General Fiction New Adult
Review: ebook provided by NetGalley and publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 


Abby and Gretchen have been best friends since fifth grade, when they bonded over a shared love of E.T., roller-skating parties, and scratch-and-sniff stickers. But when they arrive at high school, things change. Gretchen begins to act . . . different. And as the strange coincidences and bizarre behavior start to pile up, Abby realizes there’s only one possible explanation: Gretchen, her favorite person in the world, has a demon living inside her. And Abby is not about to let anyone or anything come between her and her best friend. With help from some unlikely allies, Abby embarks on a quest to save Gretchen. But is their friendship powerful enough to beat the devil?


I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review.
Alright so when I saw the title and read the blurb I said to myself that has got to be a good book it is going to be filled with horror, the devil and so much more. Was this considered horror for me no, no, no. It was far from it i.m.o.
For me it was just okay would I read it again sure would I recommend it yes. You have Abby who one day invited everyone to her birthday party and the only one who showed up was Gretchen this is how they became best friends. They were so close that they were practically sisters, then one decision ends up changing everyone for not only Abby but for Gretchen and those around her. It seems that Gretchen is being possessed by something but what exactly and can she even be saved. 
Now when we get to at least two of the scenes that I just was like umm okay I just couldn't wrap my head around it. 
Now I did like how the characters were written, the friendship that Abby and Gretchen have seems real and genuine and I love that. See how they have each other's backs is awesome that is something females need to do. I just couldn't believe with Gretchen's family seeming to be religious (that is how I felt they were) didn't pick up on anything like the smell a demon gives off or the coldness in the house. Though maybe that is just me. 
This book does take place in the 80's setting so that was really cool especially since I am an 80's baby and didn't get to experience it just by reading the story it seemed like a neat decade to be a part of. 
If you would like a light read, something that you know is not believable, memories of the 80's, friendship that has to withstand something then pick this up. 




Grady Hendrix


Grady Hendrix’s fiction has appeared in Lightspeed Magazine, Strange Horizons,Pseudopod, and is forthcoming in The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination. He is one of the founders of the New York Asian Film Festival and his nonfiction has appeared in Variety, Slate, Playboy, Time Out New York, The New York Sun, and The Village Voice.
You can listen to podcasts of his fiction on Pseudopod.
You can buy Satan Loves You, the second-best feel-good book about Hell of 2011, on Amazon or on Smashwords!
No trees died to make Satan Loves You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016