#PBwkendread Review: Sex & Violence by Carrie Mesrobian

17339214Title: Sex and Violence
Author: Carrie Mesrobian
Published: Oct. 1, 2013
Publisher: Carolrhoda LAB
Pages: 304
Genre: Teen
Review: book from library
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 



AT FIRST YOU DON'T SEE THE CONNECTION.
Sex has always come without consequences for seventeen-year-old Evan Carter. He has a strategy--knows the profile of The Girl Who Would Say Yes. In each new town, each new school, he can count on plenty of action before he and his father move again. Getting down is never a problem. Until he hooks up with the wrong girl and finds himself in the wrong place at very much the wrong time.
AND THEN YOU CAN'T SEE ANYTHING ELSE.
After an assault that leaves Evan bleeding and broken, his father takes him to the family cabin in rural Pearl Lake, Minnesota, so Evan's body can heal. But what about his mind?
HOW DO YOU GO ON, WHEN YOU CAN'T THINK OF ONE WITHOUT THE OTHER?
Nothing seems natural to Evan anymore. Nothing seems safe. The fear--and the guilt--are inescapable. He can't sort out how he feels about anyone, least of all himself. Evan's really never known another person well, and Pearl Lake is the kind of place where people know everything about each other--where there might be other reasons to talk to a girl. It's annoying as hell. It might also be Evan's best shot to untangle sex and violence.


So the title is what really called to me with this book I was very intrigued by it. Then I read a few sentences in the synopsis and was thinking okay I think this might be a book I enjoy. 
For me I was okay with putting it down, it wasn't one of those OMG I have to devour it within a day just because. I was more like ehh I can put it down and do other things and then come back to it. That isn't to say it wasn't good it just didn't call to me like I thought it would.

Now Evan is a boy slut I will put that out there and probably catch some slack. He doesn't do relationships just girls which is kind of a sad. To me I think the reason he does it is because his father is hardly not around he is always working and they are always moving, but I could have read into that wrong.
When Evan starts getting close to a red-head it becomes more than he bargains for; he is severely hurt and the only thing I got from the girl who was a victim also was that she can not have kids. When his father decides to move him a small town we see Evan's dad become more open and not like Evan has portray him, we see him open up slowly to others and actually make friends. With the help of his therapist he has learned to over come his fear of showers and get his thoughts out there via letters. Which I thought was awesome.
To me this was a coming of age book and I thought it was nice to see how Evan grew up in a way to where he didn't want to be the old him but the new him and he was okay with that.

The three issues I had with the book are as followed. 
 I wanted to see justice done not only for Evan but for Collette. 
Also there is a lot of partying being done within this small town and how do the parents just turn a blind eye. They say in the book that in the small town everyone knows everyone so you know that means everyone knows everyone's business. 
And what is up with the damn lock not being on the bathroom door, Evan's father knows he is suffering from being hurt in a shower. So why not put a lock on the door when you know your kid is bathing in a lake. 






Carrie Mesrobian
Hello!

PLEASE NOTE: I do all my bookish things on BookLikes now:
carriemesrobian.booklikes.com
This profile will remain but I won't be here frequently to answer messages or respond to notifications. My email's below if you'd like to contact me apart from here or BookLikes.
I teach teenagers about writing and books at The Loft Literary Center in Minneapolis.

Here is my main author site, where you can read my blog & learn more about my books:
www.carriemesrobian.com
I like to dink around on my Tumblr, too:
www.carriemesrobian.tumblr.com
Contact me:
carrie@carriemesrobian.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016