#bannedbooks week

So I just learned it is banned books week. How could anyone ban a book? That is just plain crazy, and I honestly think they should be throat chopped. I volunteer to throat chop people for banning books. :) Unless they are totally inappropriate and should not be around.

Any who I figured I would look around online and see what books have been banned or challenged that I have read. I am a rebel at heart when it comes to books such a bad influence to the little children.
I looked on Wikipedia for a list of books that are challenged. There is also some that are banned by the government that I found via Wikipedia so I will be adding those into this post.


Challenged books below.

Captainunderpantscover.jpg1. Captain Underpants. As a mother I can understand why probably this book should be banned though I would not agree with it. It does have potty humor. You have an adult running around in his underpants and saving the world. Two boys that turned him into captain underpants are bit of pranksters in a way. Of course my son loves the books and hey if it gets him into reading I am down for it. :) Go Captain Underpants.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Underpants





Logo of Goosebumps
2. Goosebumps! This is an amazing series is all I can say. I remember growing up and reading it so much that I think my library may have told me that I have checked them out too many times. If that is even a thing. This is one series that I can not wait for my kids to get into. This is a series that you read at night under the covers with a flashlight. It is not meant to be scary but when you are kid heck everything seems scary as you have a huge intimation . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goosebumps

How to Eat Fried Worms.jpg3. How to Eat Fried Worms. Oh my goodness how could this be challenged? I remember reading this as a kid, then just read it to my son last summer which he loved though it didn't have a lot of pictures. We have seen the movie multiple times. It is just one of those books that you can't help but to find weird because someone is eating worms but you want to know if he will win the bet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Eat_Fried_Worms






The Hunger Games (foil).png4. The Hunger Games. Are you SERIOUS! I guess I could see where it could be challenged as people are rebelling against the government and that could be seen as a big no no. But come on it is only BOOKS. In my thought damn good books though I have only read the first two and will be reading book three this weekend. This is one series that I really want my kids to read when they can understand everything that is going on. Yes there is killing but you read the story and it is either you or the other person. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunger_Games





Killing Mr Griffin cover.jpg5. Killing Mr. Griffin. Damn it has been years and I mean years since I have read this book. Lois Duncan had a way with writing a story, just seeing this title makes me want to go and re-read it since it has been a while. Pretty much a group of students doesn't like that they got a bad grade so they kidnap Mr. Griffin well when he ends up dead what do they do? Decide to hide the body and that is when everything goes down hill. Silly how this could be a challenged book. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Mr._Griffin






OfMiceAndMen.jpg6. Of Mice and Men wow. I remember reading this book in class and getting in trouble because I kept reading ahead of the class. I also read it out of class because it was that damn good. I honestly don't see why this book could even be challenged at all. I can see about the language and the racist language but it isn't anything different than what people say now. I hope this book stays a required reading in classrooms. If it isn't my children will be for sure reading it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Mice_and_Men





Cover of the book showing title in white letters against a black background in a banner above a painting of a portion of a tree against a red background7. To Kill A Mockingbird. Another one of my favorites. I have read this one just like I did Of Mice and Men. I recommend this to everyone to read. Harper Lee does a great job getting you into the story and you can't help but continue reading to find out if this man will ever be free. Your heart breaks for how people were treating back in the day. It deals with race, how people are different and it is powerful. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Kill_a_Mockingbird






The Harry Potter logo, used first in American editions of the novel series and later in films.
8. Harry Potter. Are you kidding me? Though I see a lot of religious folks getting upset because it contains magic. Though hey it is nothing serious. I have re-read this entire series at least 3 to 4 times and I will re-read again as well. It is a beloved series by all and we all know it is fake. Heck if it was real us muggles would be begging for them to take us. I think deep down inside all of us are waiting for our letter to come to tell us we have been accepted to Hogwarts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter

Banned books


I actually have only read three books that have been banned.

DaVinciCode.jpg1. The Da Vinci Code. I read this not too long ago and even though it was good it didn't really call to me like a lot of books do. I can see why this would be banned in some countries because of the many things within the book from the Roman Catholic church to Christianity, the Holy Grail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code









Greenegg.gif2. Green Eggs and Ham. This was temporarily banned in the Peoples  Republic of China. Glad it has been lifted as of course it is an amazing receptive rhyming children's book. I even have it here at home to read to my children. If you read on the Wikipedia you can learn why people thought to ban it and it is simply quite silly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Eggs_and_Ham







3. The Lottery!! So I remember reading this book quite a few times. I even saw the saw the movie on it and I sat there with my hand over my mouth going wow people do that. This book was banned in the Union of South Africa. I have to say for me it was a great story. You have people who live in a town and draw numbers on who is going to die pretty much. It is kind of like the hunger games but this isn't a quick kill folks are pelting you with rocks.


So here is my list. Did you read anything that was on the wikipedia list of banned or challenged books? If so comment below.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White