Review: Clockworkers by Ramsey Isler

19038646
Samantha Chablon is a self-proclaimed “gadget girl”. She runs the family watch repair shop while her eccentric old father spends his days researching fantastical stories of elves. Sam loves her father, but his odd habits have always been a mystery and a burden on the family. But that all changes after her father dies, and she discovers what he left for her.

Sam has inherited a real elf.

Piv is his name, and he is far older than his boyish face and personality would imply. But he's also wise, and as an elf he is gifted with a preternatural proclivity for making things. Sam's father taught Piv everything he knows about making watches, and he works faster than human hands could ever move. Sam, being much more enterprising than her father, sees opportunity in Piv's talents. Soon Piv is not the only elf working for Sam as she goes about building a luxury watch empire powered by secret elf labor.

But the elves have remained hidden from humans for good reason, and it's not easy to keep a factory full of territorial elves secret in the middle of a metropolis. One night when someone attempts to break into the factory, the elves take matters into their own hands. The incident gives Sam a glimpse of a dark and twisted side of elves that no fairy tales ever mentioned. Samantha will soon discover that great ambition often comes with great risk, and although her elf partners have agreed to work without pay, there are other costly consequences involved in striking a deal with elves.


I received this book to give an honest review.

So when I read the blurb I didn't figure this story to truly have a touch of darkness to it. I remember reading about elves and they were nice. Now not to say that the Kith's are not nice, but they do have a touch of evil to them I would say. They are not just all nice like they are portrayed. 

Sam works in her father's shop which deals with fixing watches. And her father has always believed in elves even though Sam thinks he is crazy now.
When Sam is able to take over the shop she has big plans for it all. That is when she meets Piv! Piv is there to help her but it seems Sam bites off more than she can chew. 
Sam went from a humble woman to one of greed! You could totally tell she changed with gaining fame. I don't want to call her rude but that is how she seemed to come across to me. And the way she treated the elves it is constantly work, work, work and not much of a thank you for helping her gain her fame thanks to Piv and his friends. 
When the Kith do the unthinkable that Sam never though they could do it changes her world. But it is kind of like was it for the better or will it cause more problems? 
Sam is a worker, she likes to work but I think towards the end she learns that work is not all that important and that is a lesson she needed to learn I feel. 

Overall a really good read one that I enjoyed reading. It was different than I expected it to be and I like different! 






Ramsey Isler
For much of my life, I was one of those quirky folk known as a "coder". I wrote computer code, not stories. I was fairly successful at it, and I had a lot of fun doing it. But my true passion was writing books and stories that would inspire and ignite the light of creativity in others, just as my favorite storytellers had inspired me in my youth. I'm still in the early phases of my journey as an author, but it has been quite an adventure so far.
I write contemporary fantasy, epic fantasy, and sci-fi. My books The Remortal, Ghosts of ARCADIA, The Ninth Order, and Clockworkers are available on various digital book stores.
My favorite things include Japanese food, gadgets, comics, and cats.
You can find my regular musings on my blog at http://blog.ramseyisler.com




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016