The Woods Are Always Watching by Stephanie Perkins


Published: 8/3/2021
Publisher: Dutton Books for Young Readers
Pages: 238
Genre: YA/Thriller
Review: ebook from Netgalley and publisher

Bears aren't the only predators in these woods.

Best friends Neena and Josie spent high school as outsiders, but at least they had each other. Now, with college and a two-thousand-mile separation looming on the horizon, they have one last chance to be together—a three-day hike deep into the woods of the Pisgah National Forest.

Simmering tensions lead to a detour off the trail and straight into a waking nightmare; and then into something far worse. Something that will test them in horrifying ways.



"I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own."

I have to say this was a pretty good storyline, but I did feel like it fell short in some aspects. We are introduced to our two young adults who are about to move on with their life of going to college and working and decide to go on a hiking trip as the last hurrah before they go their separate ways. Neena and Josie spent the first maybe 100 pages driving me crazy with just not having any real depth to them. I felt as though they were shallow. Yet, perhaps they were meant to be that way because they just got out of high school. Also, for two best friends, they were mean to each other. I mean, come one you will spend three days with your best friend and yet decide to be ugly. It doesn't sound like a fun trip to me, but who am I to judge the characters. They are all ready for this trip which I think is excellent, but then it turns deadly. It will be a fight for survival, and one that leaves you a bit creeped out with it. I do feel as though the ending could have been a bit better. Who were these people? Why was there nothing posted on the bulletin boards near the hiking parks? Just a lot of unanswered questions that I had. I will say the title of the book did go with the story being told, and now I am not sure if I genuinely want to go hiking ever! 







Hi, there! I'm Stephanie Perkins, and I wrote Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, and Isla and the Happily Ever After. I also edited (and contributed a short story to) a romantic holiday anthology called
My True Love Gave to Me and its companion anthology, Summer Days and Summer Nights. My first horror novel, There's Someone Inside Your House, was recently adapted into a film for Netflix. My second horror novel, The Woods Are Always Watching, will be released Fall 2021.



I don't check my Goodreads inbox. Better ways to reach me are listed here: http://stephanieperkins.com/about/

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/naturallyste...
Twitter: http://twitter.com/naturallysteph


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016