Review: Fractured Hearts (Shattered Lives #3) by Rissa Blakeley

25239378Title: Fractured Hearts
Author: Rissa Blakeley
Published: April 27, 2015
Publisher: Self
Genre: NA, Zombie
Review: ebook
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk




The demons taunted. Feeling imprisoned by the voices in his head, Henry feared he would never be free from their reign. With no regard, he raised the bottle to his lips and relished in the blackness welcoming him like an old friend.
After a child went missing and Henry was unable to aid in the search, he knew it was time to clean up his act. With Gunther’s help and determination, Elaina worked to get Henry back on track to a healthier, more sober lifestyle.
The guilt from the actions of Gunther’s past continued to weigh on him, but through Quinn’s encouragement, he allowed himself to start the healing process. Their steamy relationship tested Quinn’s resolve and their future together. She faced a decision which would close the door to one life, opening another that was full of promise.
More survivors ventured into the small town and were allowed to take up residence at the school. Through love, friendship, and with a sense of community, growth began. But discoveries were made that would bring on devastation.
Faced with a battle of a lifetime, some felt survival seemed more like an option than something for which to fight. More secrets were exposed, lives were lost. But, somehow, a little joy and relief followed.
The question that remained was whose heart would shatter and who would be able to move forward?

So I started this series and when I read book one I was kind of hoping that the books would get better. I can honestly say this has been the case. I do believe that book number three may be my favorite by far but of course that could always change when I read the next book, who knows. 
So in Fractured Hearts Gunther, Henry, and their community come together to survive. As they are doing their best to survive, they will come across other survivors. 
It seems that someone from Quinn's past will show up but is this a good thing? 
Henry fights with this addiction to alcohol and it finally takes Elaina to say enough is enough to make him realize he has got to get better. How can he fight and keep anyone safe if he is drowning in a bottle. 
Gunther really has stepped up to the plate while Henry is fighting to get better. He has really changed all around from the first time I was introduced to him. I guess that is what having a good woman will do to you.
I really liked how tough Henry and Gunther could be with the new survivors especially since you never know the true intentions of people during an apocalypse. We learn this a little later when someone from the group dies. 
The title says it all of what you can expect to happen within the book. It may not happen right away but something does happen. It will make even the strongest person break down......
As far as characters go I can honestly say I have enjoyed them all. At first I could not stand Elaina and Henry but they have grown and really matured as the stories have gone on. 
Sex scenes with the characters are pretty hot and heavy but I really liked how Elaina and Quinn just didn't want sex with their man! They wanted it to be more than that and their men delivered and listened. 
There were a few scenes that had my heart strings being tugged on. 
  • When Gunther is talking to Grey! I am just going to leave that there. It broke my heart.
  • When Sil made the most cutest card for Gunther. 
  • When someone had to be buried once again! My heart broke into pieces. I sat there at 11:00 at night crying silently not to wake my husband. Man that scene was a rough one. 
There is one quote that I love! It was said between Elaina and Henry.
" I love you whole, and I love you broken." To me this one quote says it all! Elaina has loved Henry through all the times you could imagine and even though he drives her crazy and makes her mad the love is still there and as strong. 

Another quote I found myself laughing at was the scene with Henry and Mara (a new survivor)
"It was like fighting off an octopus with lips." All I could do was shake my head and laugh. Honestly this girl will stop at nothing to get what she wants. You read the scene you will know what he meant by that. 
I think the author did a good job with bringing witty, sarcasm, love, lost, madness, and finally happiness that this group honestly needs, along with so many other emotions together. The plot line was amazing and a steady flow. There were no dull moments. 
The only thing I have to say is the scene with Roger could have went a little better. I felt that it was lacking on the action,  I guess I expected this one scene to be just OMG because it seem to build up to it. 



Rissa Blakeley
Rissa Blakeley is the author of a fantasy paranormal series, Corvidae Guard, and a post-apocalyptic saga, Shattered Lives, which features a paranormal twist and has been adapted into graphic novel form.
As a native New Yorker, Rissa is now a Georgia transplant who is completely addicted to black coffee and La Croix, obsessively listening to songs on repeat. Her days are packed with characters screaming for more scenes, cats living up to their Harry Potter namesakes, lazy dogs, a teenage daughter, who’s bringing Emo back, and a Viking husband, who finds her puns less than funny. When Rissa isn’t writing, she can be found procrastinating on social media.
For more information regarding Rissa's books, go to www.rissablakeley.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White