#PBwkendread Review: The Other Side of Truth (The Other Side of Truth #1) by Beverley Naidoo

5670467Title: The Other Side of Truth
Author: Beverley Naidoo
Published: Dec. 24, 2002
Publisher: Turtleback Books
Pages: 272
Genre: Literature Fiction
Review: Library book
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 



After the murder of their mother, twelve-year-old Sade and her younger brother are smuggled out of Nigeria by their journalist father to escape the corrupt military government and growing violence. Explores the issues of family, exile, and freedom.


So I wanted to read something outside of my normal reading genre. I looked around the library and saw this book kind of skimmed the blurb and grabbed it. It was not as in depth as I assumed it would have been. It just didn't pull to me like I wanted, but it was a decent read something that I am glad I got to read. It broke my heart to see how Sade was bullied in school. We are following Sade and her young brother as they are smuggled into London to escape what has happened to their family. We see how they are trying to adapt to their new life while worrying about their dad and if he is ever going to come to them. 
I think this book is good for the kids maybe 6th on up as it isn't graphic in any way and it makes you think about what others are going through in other parts of the world with wars. 
One quote I really liked was "Truth keeps the hand cleaner than soap." I feel like this quote is something that really speaks and something that people should think about. 




Beverley Naidoo
Beverley Naidoo was born in South Africa on 21 May 1943 and grew up under apartheid. As a student, she began to question the apartheid regime and was later arrested for her actions as part of the resistance movement in South Africa. In 1965 she went into exile, going to England. She married another South African exile; they have two children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016