Review: Ayahuasca by Jonathan Huls

31835046Title: Ayahuasca
Author: Jonathan Huls
Published: Sept. 1, 2016
Pages: 256
Genre: Murder, Horror, Adult
Review: ebook provided by author
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 




Best friends since childhood, Damien and Paxton are going on a college graduation trip of a lifetime to the jungles of Peru. Their adventures along the way will culminate in a night of consuming the mind-altering drug ayahuasca – the most potent DMT based hallucinogen known to man. Will the experience expand their consciousness and change them into the men society beckons? Or will the young men’s shadowy backgrounds turn the trip so dark that it will consume them and everyone around them?


I received this book to give an honest review.

Now a book like this I would probably have given a 5 star rating no problem. The only reason I didn't was because of the scene with the dog. That bothered me a lot. Though I understood why the author put that in the book it was just disturbing for me. 
Now if you are squeamish , do not like animal cruelty, do not like expletive scenes then this book may not be for you. Just a fair warning!

So lets dive into the review. This book is one psychological horror book. We are introduced to Paxton and Damien who are so excited to go on their trip, they are more excited to do this G-88 thing. For me I figured this trip was going to be fun and of course drugs and drinking were going to be involved. I just didn't know the extend of their fun. They kept mentioned G-88 and once everything came together it finally made sense. 
We go between journal entries made by Paxton and his memories of things of his past, to the present. Paxton and Damien are very disturbed individuals. 
When they try this mind altering drug called ayahuasca it all comes full circle for them though we don't learn about this drug until towards the middle-end of the book. 
I honestly keep thinking to myself how dark was this author's mind, because what he has written in this story is almost the darkest thing I have read in a while. I can honestly say that this author has a way with a story. He can pull you into the story that you don't want to put it down, and then leave you wondering what did I just read. I think this is a book that some of the scenes will just stay with me. 
As far as characters I think he wrote them very well, they were complete and not just made to be the way they were written. I felt that people like them are really out there with their messed up mind. If that makes sense.
I hope this author writes more as I think I would for sure read more by him. 




Jonathan Huls
 Jonathan Huls has a permanent home in San Diego with his wife, Brigette, but they travel the world extensively at every moment they can. They can be sighted attending the World Cup, relaxing on the beaches of Colombia, eating ceviche in Peru, or climbing the various rock formations throughout the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016