Review: 52 Likes by Medeia Sharif

23349701
Title: 52 Likes
Author: Medeia Sharif
Publisher: Evernight Teen
Published: Jan. 16, 2015
Pages: 172
Genre: YA, Teens
Review: ebook provided by NetGalley and Publisher
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk, Barnes and Noble



After a brutal rape and near-murder, Valerie wants to get past feelings of victimhood from both the assault and her history of being bullied. She’s plagued by not knowing the identity of her rapist and by the nasty rumors in school about that night. Valerie follows clues from ghostly entities, past victims of the rapist-murderer, contacting her through a social media site—why do all of their eerie photos have 52 likes under them? Their messages are leading her to the mystery man, although he’ll put up a fight to remain hidden.


I received this book via NetGalley to give an honest review. 
*TRIGGER WARNING* Does contain rape scene.
The synopsis is what called out to me on this book. I was intrigued to see where this book was going to go. I started this book at 2:30 in the morning and had to put it down around 4:00 just so I could get at least some sleep. It kept me wanting to find out who was behind this attack.

You have teenagers parting in abandon houses sounds like normal teenage fun that is until Valerie enters a home gets brutally attacked and raped. Things will never be the same for her. It wasn't like she had it easy in school either. We are told countless times that something happened the year before. It has ruined her reputation I kept wondering when we could get told and we did finally. It isn't something so very horrible but it is something that all girls should thing about sending before they do it. Valerie is trying to be so strong but you can tell she isn't completely tough like she seems on the outside to others. 
I felt for Valerie especially not knowing if the rapist was someone she knew or if it was a random stranger. It is so hard to imagine all she went through with the testing and the fears I think the author did a great job with describing Valerie and her situation. Though I think the author could have done better with her healing. 
When she starts getting messages with the words FIND HIM and pictures with 52 likes (hence the title) she doesn't understand what is going on. Who is doing this? Is this the rapist or someone in school? I have to say when I found out who the person was I was kind of surprised he was one of those characters that seems to stand in the background of things. Though it does seem that this rapist is also a killer so is Valerie ever truly safe?
Now the author did the whole paranormal thing which in some books would be find but I didn't think it worked in this book. For me it was unbelievable that ghosts were sending messages to catch someone so evil. Yes I know this is not a real story but still it just didn't work for me. 
Would I read more by this author sure. I like her style and the way she can capture your attention.




Medeia Sharif
Medeia Sharif was born in New York City and presently calls Miami her home. She received her master’s degree in psychology from Florida Atlantic University. Published through various presses, she writes middle grade and young adult short stories and novels. In addition to being a writer, she’s a public school teacher.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White