Review: Sunshine by Nikki Rae


16637812
18 year old Sophie Jean is pretty good at acting normal. Sure, she's not exactly happy, but happiness is nothing compared to being like everyone else. She can pretend she's not allergic to the sun. She can hide what her ex-boyfriend did to her. She can cover up the scars she's made for herself. Ignore anything. Forget anything. Then Myles enters her life, and he has more than a few secrets of his own. When accident after accident keeps happening to Sophie, she can't help noticing that he's everywhere. That he knows too much. That she's remembering too much.
It's one thing covering up her own dark past, but does she really need to worry about people finding out just how much Myles likes her? Or that despite how much she doesn't want to repeat past mistakes, she kind of likes him back? Not to mention the fact that she now has to conceal that Myles drinks blood-that he says he's about four hundred years old.
She almost forgot about that part.
But Sophie has no plans to ruin the normal life she has created for herself. She can deal with this little glitch, no problem. Even if word has gotten around to the wrong vampire about Sophie and Myles, even if she's putting the few people she loves at risk. Suddenly, those who were monsters before are just people, and the monsters? They're real. Now being a normal human being is the least of her problems. Now she has to stay alive.


I received this book to give an honest review.

I love reading books by new authors, I love to give them a try and see how their mind works within a story. Now with this story I was expecting more with Sophie the author makes it seem as though no one likes her at her school.   But I never got that vibe except from Barbie. Non of the other kids in school picked on her or called her names they just mostly kept to themselves. Now the way that Sophie and Myles relationship is it kind of drove me batty. It was like I don't want no one to know I like him, he wants people to know. I truly didn't feel like I understood why she didn't want anyone to know she liked Myles. He is the new kid the only person she would have to worry about is Barbie but it looks like she has her own problems dealing with the ex of Sophie. 
Sophie poor thing my heart broke for her with the ex. How she could keep something like that for so long is beyond me, I would have nut chopped him just saying, even if I saw him walking around. Sophie is slowly becoming a strong character within the book especially with the way her mom is treating her. That is just unbelievable. Sophie has had a hard life and I give her props that she hasn't given up.
Why does she not really remember her childhood? Just things she has been told?  Also the way she lived her life, it seemed to "normal". I would have thought with being allergic to the sun she would have been more worried about being out in the sun. And how long was she in the hospital after the "accident"? I felt as though it seemed to be a couple of days but if it was that bad I would have figured she would be in a lot longer. 
Now we learn that Myles is a vampire cool, but for being a 400 year old vampire he doesn't seem like he is that old. I am not sure if the author wanted him to still have the mind of a young adult or what. He seems very non-confident within himself and I found that just to be weird for how "old" he is. Also why in the heck was his mom always seeming to be mad at him? I never truly got an answer out of that one. 

Now what is up with Micheal? How did he know so much about Sophie and what is up with him telling her you are not suppose to be here? And if Micheal is an old vampire how was Myles able to defeat him later on and not earlier? Just something seems off, maybe it will all be answered in book 2? I can only hope.

Overall good story and this is what I would call a chick lit with a bit of paranormal within it. There are some details that could have been improved and added to it all. 
  I do want to read more by her. I do want to read book two and see what else can happen with Sophie and Myles, their family and friends.  







Nikki Rae is a student and writer who lives in New Jersey. She is an independent author and has appeared numerously on Amazon Best Seller lists. She is the author of The Sunshine Series and concentrates on making her imaginary characters as real as possible. She writes mainly dark, scary, romantic tales, but she'll try anything once. When she is not writing, reading, or thinking, you can find her spending time with animals, drawing in a quiet corner, or studying people. Closely.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016