Obumbrate by Alivia Anders Book 2 in the Illumine Series



Obumbrate (Illumine, #2)

Synopsis:

The second book to The Illumine Series.

Essallie Hanley just wishes her life could go back to normal. But what's normal when you carry the burden of knowing you're a half-angel created for war, that the only person who can help you is a demon still waiting to kill you, and that your only chance for salvation lied in a boy who died in front of you?

If Essallie had turned her back on everything she'd learned, she could have made the most of her fractured life. That is, until Kayden told her that she's a ticking time-bomb; that at any given moment her blood could betray her, her veins burning her alive from the inside out until nothing but ash remains.

Desperate to find answers, and possibly find her only chance for survival, Essallie heads back for New York City, back to the place where it all began. With every answer comes a price, and with every price the risks and rewards become greater. But when Essallie soon finds herself the target of an unknown hunter determined to kill her, she's at wits' end. That is, until a fellow Nephilim named Ari steps in. But is Ari a piece of the puzzle to her salvation, or the promise of her demise?


My Review:

I received this book from the author to give an honest review.

Obumbrate took over where Illumine left off and let me tell you I was HOOKED! Obumbrate is fast-paced and full of action. I loved the way she described when Essallie was kicking a..
When we lost Leo in book 1 Illumine, I wondered if there was ever going to be another character to love. And thankfully Alivia wrote the character Ari, he is a character that you can fall in love with especially considering that he is a Nephilim just like Essallie. He has a past that he does not like to talk about, and he has learn that you need to live life even if you are on death's doorstep.

Kayden is still the cocky demon that he was in Illumine but in Obumbrate you can tell he is starting to get feelings for Essallie and also why he does not like the Queen.

In this book you will see the character's relationships evolve and Essallie struggle with her feelings of losing Leo, to having feelings for Kayden and Ari. 

Essallie is just wanting to finish school and push those away that want to help her. She is still devastated after losing Leo and is not wanting anything to do with being a Nephilim. But little does she know that there is someone out there that wants her alive so they can have her blood. That person is the Queen which you will learn more about and her story. Essallie is wanting to kill the Queen since she caused the death of more people that Essallie cares about. 

My favorite quotes in this book were: This was said by Ari to Essallie " You can't just give up and quit life. That's not how living works, sorry to piss on your pity party. When a cancer patient gets a diagnosis, they don't simply just stop living life. They fight. Essallie, fight like hell against every mutant cell in their body. From the moment I met you I knew you were a fighter, now I'm not so sure someone so weak and pitiful could have ever been a fighter."

Quote 2: Essallie arguing with Ari: "Oh? Pardon me, I thought I was all sparkles and sprinkle." I just laughed at this quote because how many times do we want to say this to people when they like to comment on our attitudes.

Alivia, has done it once again to me left me wanting more of Essallie and her journey. I want to know what is going to happen to her since her clock is counting down. I want to know about her feelings for Ari and Kayden.  I also want to hear more about Jessica and her full part in all this and why the Queen has her. 
I can not wait until December to read book 3 in this wonderful paranormal series. Wish December would get here quicker. 

My rating: 5 books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White