NetGalley: And There He Kept Her by: Joshua Moehling


Published: 6/14/2022
Publisher: Poisoned Pen Press
Pages: 320
Genre: Mystery/Thrillers
Review: ARC from NetGalley

They thought he was a helpless old man. They were wrong.

When two teenagers break into a house on a remote lake in search of prescription drugs, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a nightmare for all involved. Emmett Burr has secrets he's been keeping in his basement for more than two decades, and he'll do anything to keep his past from being revealed. As he gets the upper hand on his tormentors, the lines blur between victim, abuser, and protector.

Personal tragedy has sent former police officer Ben Packard back to the small Minnesota town of Sandy Lake in search of a fresh start. Now a sheriff's deputy, Packard is leading the investigation into the missing teens, motivated by a family connection. As clues dry up and time runs out to save them, Packard is forced to reveal his own secrets and dig deep to uncover the dark past of the place he now calls home.




I read this book voluntarily; all thoughts and opinions are my own.
The cover I saw first had me clicking to see what this book was about. Then I read the blurb, and I knew it would be good. I will say I was not disappointed. Two kids break into someone's home, and they both pay dearly. However, when a missing person's report goes out, it seems that the newly appointed sheriff will uncover a whole lot more than missing kids. It seems crimes have been committed for a long time, and it is finally being exposed.
Emmett is a serial killer; we know this from the start of it, but he is old now. Which I have to say was something new for me. I mean, yes, I know people get old, but to read it in a story does make you wonder about those that are killers. What happens next is all up to Emmett; his choices will affect the girl who broke into his house. I really did love the scenes that were given to us. They were a bit disturbing, but I enjoy books that make you go "what the......" For this author's first book, he did pretty well. I can't wait to read more by him. Maybe more with Deputy Packard in them?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White