Review: Zero Day (Slow Burn #1) by Bobby Adair

18243819
Title: Zero Day (Slow Burn #1)
Author: Bobby Adair
Publisher: Smashwords
Published: July 24, 2013
Pages: 189
Genre: Zombies, Horror, Post-Apocalyptic
Review: ebook box set
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon,uk



A new flu strain has been spreading across Africa, Europe, and Asia. Disturbing news footage is flooding the cable news channels. People are worried. People are frightened. But Zed Zane is oblivious.

Zed needs to borrow rent money from his parents. He gets up Sunday morning, drinks enough tequila to stifle his pride and heads to his mom’s house for a lunch of begging, again.
But something is wrong. There’s blood in the foyer. His mother’s corpse is on the living room floor. Zed’s stepdad, Dan is wild with crazy-eyed violence and attacks Zed when he comes into the house. They struggle into the kitchen. Dan’s yellow teeth tear at Zed’s arm but Zed grabs a knife and stabs Dan, thirty-seven times, or so the police later say.
With infection burning in his blood, Zed is arrested for murder but the world is falling apart and he soon finds himself back on the street, fighting for his life among the infected who would kill him and the normal people, who fear him.


So this review will also be in the box set of books 1-3. I will be reviewing each of those books individually.

So as anyone knows I really enjoy zombie books and this one was no different. In Zero Day we are quickly introduced to the character Zed. The book starts off pretty fast and keeps up with the fast pace through out the whole book. We get our first encounter with a zombie within a few chapters. We aren't sure how at first the virus came to be but we hear from others that Zed encounters and what they learned from the internet. It seems some people are immune but what does that exactly mean? Zed while visiting his mother walks into a horrific scene and ends up getting bit by his step-father. When Zed ends up killing him days later the police tell him how he did it and Zed finds himself in a different world than what he started out in on a regular Sunday. 
With the help of Murphy a guy he meets in jail they are on their own until Murphy gets bit as well and Zed tries to not only survive for himself but help Murphy as he doesn't want to leave him behind. 
It is a race against trying to not get eaten, get killed from those that are uninfected to learning how to survive, escaping and it doesn't help when he puts himself in situations to save others and it puts him in even more danger.
Now Zed is a good character but for a degree in philosophy he at times didn't seem to bright, though why he wants to be a hero and save other survivors when he doesn't even know how to farm is beyond me. 
At times things were repetitive such as him bringing up farming, and more farming. Yes we get you like farming and you want to farm because it is the end of the world but we don't have to be told a lot of times. So this is why it is a four.
If you are wanting something fast paced, full of zombies, not a whole lot of gore (to me anyways), then get this book. Where it ends will have you wanting to get book two if you haven't already. 





Bobby Adair


I'm just going to put this out there: I grew up with an irrational fear of Flying Monkeys. How is a little kid supposed to know that they only exist in Oz?
I'm not a native of any state. I've lived in so many that I see myself as a native American, which works out for me since I am also fractionally a Native American to an improbable, yet significant degree. I lived more than half of my life in Texas and I have a great affinity for Austin. it is a wonderfully diverse city full of interesting people. I now live in Colorado where I enjoy spending my time in the mountains, cycling, hiking, or walking my dogs. Oh, and writing... I do that too.
Join me on my website or Facebook page if you just can't get enough of my BS or want some insight into upcoming books.
www.bobbyadair.com
www.bobbyadair.com/subscribe (sign up for our newsletter)
www.facebook.com/BobbyAdairAuthor

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016