Review: Slow Burn: Infected (Slow Burn #2) by Bobby Adair

18633103Title: Infected (Slow Burn #2)
Author: Bobby Adair
Published: Sept. 26, 2013
Publisher: Self
Pages: 193
Genre: Zombies, Horror, Post-Apocalyptic
Review: ebook in box set
Buy Links: Amazon, Amazon.uk 



Infected picks up the story of Zed, Murphy, and Jerome where Slow Burn: Zero Day ended.
All three have all been infected but have not succumbed to the most pernicious symptoms of the virus. They’re not the mindless cannibals that most infected are. Nevertheless, their band of survivors, fearful about the trio’s infections, have ostracized them.
Now, back on the street, with weapons to defend themselves but little food in their packs, they embark on a search for Murphy’s family while following the rumor of a safe haven in the form of a doomsday bunker under a house in east Austin.
But the world is more hazardous than they could have guessed. They expect violence from the voracious infected but they have harsh lessons to learn about the lethality of the uninfected. And without people to support the infrastructure of modern civilization, they find that danger comes in many forms.


So in book two we leave off right where book one ended. We have Murphy, Jerome and Zed going off on their own after the people they helped kicked them out. How crappy right? These three head off to get to Murphy's house to see if his mom and sister are okay. Now I really liked this one a whole lot better than the first one and I believe it to be because of Murphy. No matter what was going on around him he was just happy and the way he and Zed would pick on each other made it a bit more enjoyable to read. I found myself on more than one occasion laughing or giggling at the way Murphy would rile Zed up. 
Now Zed really does have a hero complex in this one and Murphy calls him out on it and it is true. You can tell Zed wants to do the right thing but sometimes I don't think he thinks the whole thing fully through like he should. 
We do deal with more zombies, more escapes and more surviving in this one. 
We see Zed grow up a bit more in this book and I guess because the way he sees the world now. You have to be harsh but still be kind in a way to those that are trying to deal with it all.
My favorite character is Murphy and I hope we see more of him as we go into book three. I think the humor that it is written within the pages that have him in it is good.
I do believe the author could have used less of the word p***y. It really wasn't a big deal but after a while it just become ridiculously, also what is up with the constant used of The Ogre and the Harpy? I understand that it meant his mom and stepdad but it was just thrown out there at times that I didn't really see the point. 




Bobby AdairI'm just going to put this out there: I grew up with an irrational fear of Flying Monkeys. How is a little kid supposed to know that they only exist in Oz?

I'm not a native of any state. I've lived in so many that I see myself as a native American, which works out for me since I am also fractionally a Native American to an improbable, yet significant degree. I lived more than half of my life in Texas and I have a great affinity for Austin. it is a wonderfully diverse city full of interesting people. I now live in Colorado where I enjoy spending my time in the mountains, cycling, hiking, or walking my dogs. Oh, and writing... I do that too.
Join me on my website or Facebook page if you just can't get enough of my BS or want some insight into upcoming books.
www.bobbyadair.com
www.bobbyadair.com/subscribe (sign up for our newsletter)
www.facebook.com/BobbyAdairAuthor



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016