Review: I, Anna by Elsa Lewin

13450612
Fifty, middle-class, divorced and respectable Anna lived with her teenage daughter in a small New York apartment. And one night, after a singles party, in a strange man's apartment, all the loneliness and frustration come to a head. What happens next is only the beginning of her nightmare.


I received this book via NetGalley.
After reading the blurb I really wanted to see what this book was about.

I literally was lost the whole time. All that I finally figured out towards the end was that Anna has a tendency to black out. I was torn on if I should stop reading because I couldn't get in to it, to just trying to finish the book so I could leave a proper review. 
I bit the bullet and went on ahead and finished the book. 

Anna is a single mother of a teenager. Her husband left her for a younger woman and she now visits single's parties to just maybe find that one special person and pick up the pieces of her life.  She is hard on herself, tries to get along with her daughter and nothing seems to be going just right. That is until she meets a guy, and blacks out. She has no recollection of what she did when she went home with George but she does remember that she left her umbrella. 
When the police get involved one cop finds out who Anna is and gets close to her. But he has his own problems at home to deal with on top of finding out who killed George. Bernie has a wife who doesn't want him to be around her or their son who has a mental handicap. 
It all comes around full circle and could be classified as a cop mystery. There is murder, relationships, rape, drugs, gruesomeness which I have to say I did like how George was murdered. 

For me I honestly just did not get the story fully. At times I felt confused as to the story plot with all that was going on. I kept wondering what the heck was wrong with Anna. It just truly did not hold my interest. There was also some words I just didn't get. Like bread. George's son makes references to this and I literally had no clue what it meant until later on. 
Another example is George says "Eat me", by this he is trying to get his penis sucked. Normally a man says "suck me" but this bothered me as he kept saying Eat me and I just couldn't wrap my head around that.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview and Giveaway with Author Teri Polen

Spreading Some Love Indie Blog Hop 2016

Review: The Ouija Board (Paranormal Adventure #1) by Shelby White